Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bubba Graduated High School!

My little brother finally graduated high school on Friday.  It was a big relief for Matt and I.  I wasn't sure how much longer he would be able to deal with some of the things that went on in his high school.  Only a few people know his secret, but teenagers can be so cruel. 

It was a small crowd for his graduation.  Five years ago, we had several more people.  But some moved, some passed away, and others had an idea of the issues our family is going through and chose to steer clear.  Unfortunately, our father was one of those who didn't show.

Bubba and dad had a huge falling out earlier in the week.  Dad suspects he is gay and isn't happy about it.  Bubba avoided him at his awards assembly Monday, and, in turn, alienated some of the "old people" (what dad calls them) who came to see his awards.  Apparently this was a big enough slight to keep my father from wanting to see his only son graduate.

Watching him walk across the stage first in his class was the proudest moment of my life.  He worked hard to get through it all and still excel.  I cried a little when I realized dad had missed out on this chance forever.  Your child only graduates top of their high school class once.  I looked over and saw my mom was tearing up as well.  It was heartbreaking.

At the end of graduation, they held a drawing for a new car.  The students got an entry for each A they received on their progress reports, if they took them to the dealership.  Bubba ended up winning the car.  He worked so hard to get college paid for, and it paid off.  He's going to be getting paid to attend State and has a new, reliable car to get him there.

Dad would have been proud.  I wish he could have swallowed his pride and at least hid in the back.  I don't know if I will ever completely forgive him, I doubt Bubba ever will.

Dad didn't go home that night.  He still hasn't contacted my mom.  I really hope this doesn't affect their marriage.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is such a happy yet heartbreaking story. Congrats to your brother. Its nice to see honest hard work pay off!!

    I hope your dad can come around and reconcile with everyone. We love our parents despite their flaws, and expect unconditional love in return.

    XOXO
    Paula

    PS thanks for stopping by my blog.. Im following you now. Besides, my hubby is from OK, and I'm a capricorn (or whatever we are now that the shift has happened lol)... its destiny if I ever did see it ;)

    ReplyDelete